How To Start A Mental Health Practice In Montana


1. Local Zoning Laws and Regulations in Montana

Montana consists of 56 counties and various municipalities with their own zoning ordinances. It is crucial to familiarize yourself with the local zoning regulations before finalizing a location for your therapy practice, even if you plan to operate from your residence. This is necessary to ensure that your business activities align with the permitted land use in that area.

If you intend to establish your therapy practice in a location where commercial operations are not typically allowed, such as a residential neighborhood, you may have the option to apply for a zoning variance. A zoning variance grants an exception to the established zoning laws, enabling you to operate your business in a non-conforming area.

To determine whether you need to apply for a variance, the specific zoning requirements applicable to your desired location, and the permitted types of business activities, it is advisable to reach out to your local municipality. They can provide you with accurate information and guidance regarding zoning regulations in Montana, ensuring that you comply with the necessary guidelines for establishing your therapy practice.

2. Business Name Search in Montana

In Montana, business names are registered and managed at the county level, following the state’s specific laws and regulations.

If your therapy practice operates as a sole proprietorship and you intend to use your personal name (e.g., “Jane Smith”) as your business name, you generally do not need to register a separate business name.

However, if you wish to use a name different from your own (e.g., “Jane Smith Counseling”) or if you decide to change your business structure, such as forming a professional corporation, you will be required to register a Doing Business As (DBA) name, also known as a fictitious business name (FBN), in Montana.

It’s important to note that the term “fictitious” does not imply misleading information. Once your DBA/FBN is registered, it becomes the legally recognized name under which your business can operate in Montana.

To register a DBA/FBN for your therapy practice in Montana, follow these steps in accordance with Montana state laws:

Perform a name search: Conduct a comprehensive search to ensure that the chosen business name is not already in use by another entity in Montana.

File an FBN statement with the county clerk: Obtain the necessary FBN statement form from the county clerk’s office. Provide your personal name, address, the DBA/FBN you wish to register, your practice’s address, your state ID number, and the type of business.

Publish the new business name: Within 30 days of filing, publish your FBN statement in a designated county newspaper for four consecutive weeks. Your county clerk’s office can provide you with a list of approved publications. Obtain an affidavit from the newspaper as proof of publication, which must be submitted to the county clerk within 30 days of the announcement running.

Pay filing fees: The filing fees for an FBN statement vary depending on the county in Montana where you are registering your business name.

Renew every five years: Every five years, you must renew your FBN statement by filing it again. Note that republishing the statement is typically not required during the renewal process.

Additionally, if you are forming a professional corporation, you may consider filing a business name reservation at the state level as an optional step. This reservation allows you to reserve your chosen business name for up to 60 days.

Please note that Montana has its own specific requirements and regulations for naming conventions for licensed therapists, and it is important to comply with these guidelines when selecting a business name for your therapy practice.

3. Business Structure in Montana

When establishing a therapy practice, it’s crucial to choose the right business structure, as it affects aspects such as taxation and ownership. In Montana, therapists have different options to consider:

Sole Proprietorship:
By default, when you start a business on your own, it is considered a sole proprietorship. In this structure, your business and personal finances are intertwined. All income and losses are attributed directly to you as the owner. However, it’s important to note that a sole proprietorship provides no legal or financial protection.

Professional Corporation:
Montana allows therapists to form a professional corporation, which is a separate legal entity from its owners. There are two types of professional corporations: C corporations and S corporations. C corporations are taxed separately from their shareholders, while S corporations pass the tax liability to individual shareholders. It is common for therapists to form S corporations at the federal level for various reasons, including tax benefits.

A professional corporation provides personal liability protection for each shareholder against malpractice lawsuits while safeguarding the corporation as a whole from liability.

It’s important to consult with an accountant and, if necessary, a lawyer to determine the most suitable business structure for your therapy practice, taking into consideration Montana state laws and regulations.

Are You A Mental Health Professional?

Belongly is deeply committed to supporting mental health and behavior professionals in their work. We’ve created a professional community where members connect, collaborate, and expand their resources connecting with like-minded colleagues across the country, sharing peer-to-peer referrals on a trusted platform,  subscribing to industry news, and building business pages for your practice.

4. Register Your Business in Montana

To register your business in Montana, the process may vary depending on the type of business structure you choose. Here’s an overview of the registration steps for each structure:

Register a Sole Proprietorship in Montana:

Choose a Business Name: Select a unique name for your sole proprietorship. You can use your own name or a fictitious business name (DBA) if you want something different.

Obtain Necessary Permits and Licenses: Certain industries may require specific permits or licenses to operate legally. Check with the appropriate Montana regulatory agencies to determine if your business needs any additional permits.

Register with the Montana Secretary of State: As a sole proprietorship, you are not required to register with the state. However, if you choose to use a fictitious business name, you must file a registration form with the Montana Secretary of State’s office.

Incorporate in Montana:

Choose a Business Name: Select a unique name for your corporation in accordance with Montana naming requirements. The name should include a corporate identifier like “Corporation,” “Incorporated,” or an abbreviation thereof.

Appoint Directors and Officers: Determine the individuals who will serve as directors and officers of the corporation. Their names and addresses may be required during the registration process.

File Articles of Incorporation: Prepare and file Articles of Incorporation with the Montana Secretary of State. This document contains essential information about your corporation, such as its name, purpose, registered agent, and initial directors.

Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN): If your corporation has employees or is required to file certain tax returns, you will need to obtain an EIN from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Comply with Ongoing Requirements: Once incorporated, your corporation must comply with various ongoing requirements, such as holding annual meetings, maintaining proper corporate records, and filing annual reports with the Montana Secretary of State.

You can complete many of these registration steps online through the Montana Secretary of State’s website.

Note: It’s recommended to consult with a business attorney or a professional service to ensure compliance with all legal requirements and to receive personalized guidance based on your specific circumstances.

5. Business Licenses & Permits in Montana

To operate your therapy practice in Montana, it is important to understand the licensing and permitting requirements at the federal, state, and local levels:

Federal Level: Generally, therapy practices do not require any special federal permits or licenses to operate in Montana. However, it’s important to comply with any applicable federal regulations related to healthcare, privacy (HIPAA), and professional standards.

State Level: Individual therapists practicing in Montana must obtain the necessary state licenses to provide therapy services. This typically involves meeting educational and training requirements, passing examinations, and fulfilling ongoing professional development obligations. Contact the Montana Department of Labor and Industry or the Board of Behavioral Health for specific licensing requirements for therapists in the state.

Local Level: Depending on the county and municipality where your therapy practice is located, you may be required to obtain a business license to operate legally. The specific licensing requirements and fees vary by local jurisdiction. Contact the local government bodies, such as the county clerk’s office or city hall, to inquire about the necessary business license for your therapy practice. The fees for a business license in Montana can range from $15 to several hundred dollars, depending on the location and the size of your business.

It’s important to stay updated on any changes or additional requirements in licensing and permitting regulations by regularly checking with the relevant federal, state, and local authorities. Additionally, consulting with a business attorney or professional service familiar with Montana regulations can provide further guidance and ensure compliance with all applicable requirements.

6. Business Insurance in Montana

The following types of business insurance are highly recommended for therapy practices operating in Montana:

General liability insurance
Commercial property insurance
Business income insurance
Montana worker’s compensation insurance (if you have employees)

When searching for insurance coverage, consider obtaining a business owner’s policy (BOP). A BOP typically combines essential coverage types, including general liability, commercial property, and business income insurance.

General liability insurance provides protection in case your therapy practice causes damage to someone else’s property or causes bodily injury. Given that Montana does not impose a cap on liability lawsuit awards, it is crucial to ensure you have adequate coverage. It is advisable to aim for at least $1 million in coverage.

Commercial property insurance safeguards the property owned by your therapy practice, such as computers, office furniture, and business phones. It also extends coverage to the building where your practice operates, whether it is owned or rented.

Business income insurance offers coverage for the loss of income resulting from specific circumstances, such as natural disasters (e.g., fire or storm damage) or man-made disasters (e.g., theft).

If you have employees, Montana law requires you to provide worker’s compensation insurance. This insurance coverage helps cover medical expenses, lost wages, and ongoing care in the event that an employee sustains work-related injuries or illnesses.

It is recommended to consult with an insurance agent specializing in business insurance to assess your specific needs and find the most suitable coverage options for your therapy practice in Montana.

7. Business Taxes in Montana

Every business earning income in Montana is required to pay state taxes. If you owe over a certain threshold, you may be required to make quarterly tax payments.

To get started with paying taxes in Montana, it is advisable to familiarize yourself with the state’s tax laws and requirements for therapists.

If you operate your therapy practice in multiple states or are planning to move to a different state from Montana, it becomes important to understand the tax implications and obligations in each jurisdiction. Tax laws can vary, depending on the states you operate in and the duration of your presence in each state.

It is recommended to consult with a tax professional or accountant who specializes in Montana tax laws and regulations to ensure compliance and accurate filing of your business taxes. They can provide personalized guidance based on your specific circumstances and help you navigate the complexities of paying taxes as a therapist in Montana.

Are You A Mental Health Professional?

Belongly is deeply committed to supporting mental health and behavior professionals in their work. We’ve created a professional community where members connect, collaborate, and expand their resources connecting with like-minded colleagues across the country, sharing peer-to-peer referrals on a trusted platform,  subscribing to industry news, and building business pages for your practice.

Share This State Page With Someone You Know

Your Information
Please enter your information below.
Who are you sharing this page with?
Please enter the email addresses of up to 5 people you'd like to share this page with. We'll email them a link to explore How To Start A Mental Health Practice In Montana.
Belongly is committed to protecting your information. Your information will be used in accordance with all applicable data privacy laws where we operate, and our own privacy policy as well.